Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Movie Review: Young Adult (Now Playing)


I watched young adult with a couple of friends, all of us expecting it to be funny and entertaining. I wanted to watch this movie because of Charlize Theron! I'm a fan and she delivered. Believable and engaging.

 Plot:
Charlize Theron acts as Mavis, a writer of the 'Young Adult' book series targeted for teenagers, living in Minneapolis. She's a lot like the characters of her own book series; lacking substance and maturity. She returns to her old town, expecting to get back her ex-lover from high school, Buddy Slade. Slade is already a father, who is happily married to his pregnant wife.

I cringed. A lot. I felt embarrassed for Mavis, cringing at her shameless attempts to get back Buddy, who is clearly content with his life. It's an interesting movie but I felt like the movie didn't reach some of its potential at certain parts involving her mental health. The movie scratches the surface about her alcoholism and hair picking, but doesn't dig into the issue. Considering it's a comedy, it makes sense the movie didn't focus too much on that aspect but I still wanted to know more.

Buddy and Mavis. Photo credit: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/new-movie-reviews-new-years-271549

I didn't feel bored at any parts, though it's definitely not feel-good movie, if that's what you're expecting. Kind of a downer towards the end, but overall, entertaining and witty.

Favorite Quote:
Mavis: You can come to the city with me like we always planned.
Buddy: Mavis, I'm a married man. 
Mavis: I know, we can beat this thing together.


Rating: I give this movie a 6.8/10. My friends ranked it higher; 7/10 and 8/10.

Trailer:

1 comment:

  1. This movie was hyped up so much...i was expected a lot more...but Theron did a really good job with the role.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Comments are always appreciated! :)